Depression is the most frequent mental disorder, affecting 350 million people in the world. In this article, we talked about its causes, symptoms and advice to avoid falling into it. Depression is synonymous with sadness, discouragement, melancholy, disappointment, demotivation. Feeling unhappy or miserable is significant, as we are probably going through a period of depression.
Depression usually lasts a short time and is caused by an isolated event that has deeply affected us : the death of a loved one, a job dismissal, the end of a relationship, etc. If this period is prolonged over time, it is best to go to the specialist. According to several studies, depression is more common in women than in men and affects mainly the adolescent sector.
Symptoms of depression:
• Changes in eating habits , with consequent variation in body weight.
• Low self-esteem , unfounded feeling of guilt, feeling worthless, etc.
• Lack of energy and fatigue.
• Insomnia or otherwise, excess sleep.
• Attitude of withdrawal or lack of initiative .
• Inability to concentrate .
• Feelings of loneliness, bitterness, despair, etc.
• Lack of sexual appetite .
Possible causes of depression:
• To have lived a hard childhood , with mistreatment, rejection, etc.
• Addiction to drugs .
• Suffer a major problem in the nearest environment .
• Chronic stress .
• Lack of various nutritional inputs .
• Do not sleep well. Insomnia and lack of rest affect the emotional state.
• Negative thoughts towards oneself or feeling like a failure.
• Problems in the work environment or personal terrain .
6 tips to avoid falling into depression:
In the first place, it is advisable to carry out any type of exercise , which you like, yes, on a regular basis. Practice it with a person you like such as a family member or friend, you should not practice it alone and you can evade the problems that surround you.
It is imperative to sleep for at least 8 hours, no more, no less. You have to create sleep habits, that is, set a regular schedule at bedtime and get up. It is also advisable, before going to sleep, to read a book or listen to relaxing music.
Following a healthy and balanced diet is essential. Vegetables, fruits, cereals, etc. They will provide the nutrients and energy needed to perform in the day to day.
Do activities that satisfy you and that you like, such as going to the movies or having dinner with friends, or any activity that involves relating to others and keep you busy.
Of course, avoid alcohol and drugs, as you could fall into problems like alcoholism or drug addiction, which could bring very negative consequences for your health. In addition, if you are taking antidepressants (always prescribed by the doctor) and consume this series of harmful substances, the effects of mediation could be attenuated or dangerously aggravated.
There are other alternative treatments, such as therapies or medicinal plants . But most importantly, in the face of any sign or symptom that you may be suffering from depression, it is essential to see your doctor.